Thursday, September 8, 2011

Some Thoughts on the President's Speech

Where to begin...Well, first of all, I was pleasantly surprised that he didn't play the blame game as he usually does. There were some thinly veiled remarks that implied that Republicans are to blame, but nothing about "inheriting" this economy. I did get a little tired of the mantra "pass it right away."

The President talked a lot about tax cuts, which I thought was interesting given the fact that many Democrats have been fighting Republicans on this question for a very long time. But then he also talked about how the rich aren't paying their fair share. I was a little confused, because it had seemed at first that he was proposing tax cuts for individuals as well as businesses, but I guess if your business gets to be a certain size you don't deserve that. At what point does your business get too big for you to keep the money it produces? He said that we can't afford to both cut taxes for the rich and make sure teachers have jobs (or something like that; I didn't write down the exact quote). Huh? Then he said that this is "not political grandstanding or class warfare, it is simple math." We could try maybe cutting spending. Oh, I guess that's how this is going to be paid for, through the trillion dollars that is supposed to be cut over the next 10 years. I'll come back to cutting spending in a minute. One thing that I did like was his proposal to give businesses that hire veterans a tax credit. Oh, here's another one I agree with: "The tax code should give an advantage to companies that invest and create jobs right here in America." Good one. Although I'm not convinced he really means that.

I thought it was interesting that when he said that we would need to reform medicare and social security, many on the Democratic side of the aisle were clapping. Interesting, because any time a Republican suggests that very thing they are demonized. So political party trumps principles, again, even though the President repeatedly indicated that we need to stop the "political circus" and work together.

Here's one that I found somewhat disturbing: the "Administration can and will take some steps to improve our competitiveness on our own." What does that mean exactly? So, he is saying he will circumvent the congress if he "has to" and if he can get away with it to do what he wants to do. Coming from this particular president that could be a very dangerous thing, and could set a dangerous precedent for future presidents of either party.

He talked about how we need more things that are "Made in America." Agreed, but I would like to know how he plans to do that. It's still cheaper to produce most things in other countries. I was just reading today that Ford is opening a new factory in India or somewhere. The President said that to do this we have to ease the regulations on businesses. Agreed. The problem is that I don't believe he is sincere. Up to this point in his administration, regulations and government spending have increased, not decreased. He indicated his continued support for labor unions even though the unions in many ways make it more difficult for companies to produce things here in America and to compete in a global economy.

Wow, this note is getting long. Just a few more thoughts. He said that he rejects the notion that we should dismantle government and tell everyone they're on their own. I assume he was implying that is what many conservatives want. I don't believe that is true. Conservatives do not want to dismantle government and pull the safety nets our from under everyone. What they do want is for the government to live within its means and its Constitutional limits. There are plenty of spending cuts we could make that would not in any way dismantle the government or fail to provide needed help to people.
"What kind of country would this be if this chamber had voted down social security or medicare just because it violated some rigid idea about what government could or could not do." Think about that quote for a moment.

Just a little more. I promise.
"This plan is the right thing to do right now." OK, so despite how many times he said that this wasn't about an election, we all know that is false. This plan is to get some people to work in the coming months building faster railroads, fixing roads, and renovating schools. (Are these the same kind of shovel-ready jobs we were sold before that turned out to be not quite so shovel-ready?) So the President's plan is to get people back to work and decrease their taxes so that they feel happy and hopeful about the economy as election day approaches. What happens when those projects end? Potentially, the economy will have improved enough that those people will be able to keep those jobs, but what if it doesn't? The problem with our government right now (OK, one of many problems) is that they are attempting to address the symptoms without acknowledging the disease. That kind of reactionary thinking will not help us in the long run. Near the end of his speech, the President said that we should pass this right away and that he intends "to take that message to every corner of this country." So, clearly he is going to use this to further his reelection bid while simultaneously setting the Republicans up to take the blame. How convenient. He also said: "I urge every American who agrees to lift your voice." I guess anyone who doesn't agree should stay silent?

So, I guess that's all. The President did say some things that I agree with. The problem is that I don't trust him. I don't believe he is sincere. I believe he is saying the things that he believes will help him get reelected. He is not alone in those actions. Nearly all politicians on both sides of the aisle do the exact same thing. That is because, unfortunately, we have failed to elect people of principle. We have elected people that know how to say the right thing to the right group at the right time, but who don't stand on principle when tough decisions need to be made. Hopefully that will not be a mistake that we continue to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment